Ever wonder if you're going wrong with your texts? These 10 golden rules could help set your habits straight, especially when it comes to dealing with dudes.
1. Thou Shalt Not Drink and TextPhoto: Nisian Hughes/Getty Images
2. Thou Shalt Not Break Up Over TextPhoto: Kathrin Ziegler/Getty ImagesIf you ever think that ending things over a text message is warranted, or acceptable, you should probably be spending less time with your phone and more with books, specifically Emily Post.
3. Thou Shalt Not Leave Out Essential DetailsPhoto: E Dygas/Getty Images
4. Thou Shalt Observe Thy SurroundingsPhoto: Christina Kennedy/Getty ImagesThis only has so much to do with guys. If you're having a nice date, or chill conversation, maybe it's not the best time to text your friends. If you're in a movie, it can be distracting for other people in the theater. If you're driving, it's just plain dangerous.
Most, if not all of these, have to do with respect, which has to do with our attitudes and outlook, and not just toward communication technologies. There's no need to follow any of these 10 commandments to the letter, as long as you're following the golden rule (do unto others….).
5.Thou Shalt Not SextPhoto: Dylan Ellis/Getty Images
6. If Thy Texts Fall Out Of Rhythm, Thou Shall Not Expect DancingPhoto: Cultura/Zero Creatives/Getty ImagesEveryone has a texting rhythm. If you're used to him replying within the hour, you can't freak out when he doesn't get back to you in 15 minutes. If you're both used to responses within 10 minutes, he can't whine if you don't respond in 5. If you're used to him replying right away, all the time, well, be prepared for some fights.
7.Thou Shalt Receive What Thou Dish OutPhoto: Image Source/Getty Images
8.Thy Texts Shall Have A PointPhoto: Tooga/Getty Images
10.Thou Shalt Not Play (Word) GamesPhoto: James Carman/Getty ImagesWe're not talking about wordplay, we're talking about pretending you didn't get the text or ignoring them, or letting people see them who you know should not; it's immature and just plain mean.